Saturday, February 21, 2009

T9.

After paperwork and waiting period and "getting the money together while still eating regularly" period, I finally have my pretty!

I took it to the range yesterday and oh my gosh am I happy with it. It fits me just perfectly--when I'm holding it comfortably and naturally, wherever my arm bone points, that's exactly where the bullet goes. It's small enough for my (cargo pants) pocket, big enough that there's very little recoil. Even in my decidedly inexpert hands it was accurate and reliable. And it's also pretty and fun. I am in wuv.

(I also shot my friend's .44 magnum, and damn. On the one hand, it would certainly work as a self-defense weapon because if you shot that damn thing at me, I'd probably fall down even if you missed. [Even assuming an adversary slightly less wussy than myself, they'd still be deaf, disoriented, and thoroughly intimidated.] But on the range it's just uncomfortable to shoot. Gets a lot of attention from the neighboring lanes, though.)

I'll post the obligatory picture of a teeny little dead-center grouping as soon as I'm good enough to actually, y'know, produce one. I've got a lot of practicing to do. Oh, what a tiresome chore...

10 comments:

1. So, is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see your readership?

ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, if you're ever in eastern WI, get ahold of me. We'll take you to the range and introduce you to a .44 that's actually fun to shoot: the Automag.

Big flame and noise, but fairly little felt recoil. I have yet to take a lady to the range that didn't like it... ;)

ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, Holly! Everyone needs an expensive hobby. I hope it gives you a lot of pleasure, and I hope that you never have to fire it in anger. (and if you do fire it in anger, I hope your aim is true.)

ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on getting the gun and nice shooting!

Be sure to memorize the Four Rules of Fun Safety if you haven't already:
    1. Treat all guns as if they are loaded
    2. Never let the muzzle of a gun point at anything you are not willing to destroy
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it

ReplyDelete
  5. Nice grouping.

But it's to the right a bit, which probably means....

I kid, I kid. very nicely done. :)

ReplyDelete
  6. @ Lawrence: never fire in anger - only when in fear for your life. And if you have to fire when in fear for your life, don't stop firing until your target is dead, or you're out of ammo. It's hard to defend your fear if you just give 'em a double tap to the head. :~)

Nice weapon, Holly.

ReplyDelete